Wild rice is a good source of protein and loaded with vitamins and minerals (notably zinc, B-6 and magnesium). Unfortunately, every recipe for wild rice feels very similar. While I like wild rice with cranberries and I like it with mushrooms, I thought there might be room for variation. And so, I did some thinking... and thus, we have Three Squash Curried Wild Rice.
The wild rice simmers in broth and coconut milk. Butternut squash, sunburst squash, and zucchini come together with curry powder, jalapeño, lime, cilantro, and garlic. It's a fresh flavor profile for an American pantry staple. Also, while this recipe uses sunburst squash, feel more than free to substitute in yellow squash.
Three Squash Curried Wild Rice tastes delicious warm, but could also work well as a cold salad. If you plan to serve as a salad, allow it to cool and then, add more rice vinegar and/or oil before serving. It would also work well on a cold wrap with some marinaded tofu, julienned carrots, and fresh, pickled beets.
Three Squash Curried Wild Rice
2 cups wild rice
1 13.5 ounce can of lite coconut milk
2 cups broth (vegetable, fake chicken, etc)
2 cups water
2 cups sunburst squash OR yellow squash, diced
2 cups zucchini, diced
1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 ½ Tbsp mild curry powder
½-1 jalapeño (remove seeds, if you are sensitive to heat or skip adding it altogether)
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp rice vinegar
Salt, to taste
1. Bring coconut milk, water, and broth to a boil in a heavy pot or dutch oven. Once boiling, stir in wild rice. Cover and simmer 35-45 minutes.
2. While wild rice is simmering, cut all the vegetables. Once wild rice is done, drain it in a colander and set aside.
3. In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, melt vegan butter and add olive oil. Add onions and sauté until transparent. Add garlic, curry powder, jalapeño (if using), and a generous amount of salt (between ½ tsp and 1 tsp). Sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add butternut squash, sunburst or yellow squash, and zucchini. Sauté over med-low heat for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to cool down. Add lime juice and the wild rice. Stir, and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Remove the pot from heat. Stir in cilantro, scallion, green onion and rice vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning (more salt, curry, vinegar, etc). Serve as a meal or as a side dish.